What is the placenta?
Over the nine months that a mother grows her baby, she also grows the placenta. It is a completely new organ with one purpose: to nourish and sustain the life of the baby. In utero, the baby depends on the placenta’s hormones, protein, iron, and nutrients. After the birth of baby and placenta, why should a mother discard the life-giving benefits that she has developed and grown over the pre-born life of her child? These nutrients are still richly available, and encapsulation allows the mother to benefit during the often-difficult early postpartum days.
The practice of placenta consumption (placentophagy) is not new. Most mammals consume the placenta after birth, and even humans have held this practice this for hundreds of years. It is a natural part of the birthing process, yet an unfamiliar or even unappealing concept to many mothers in the western world. Encapsulation of the placenta is a much easier concept to grasp, thereby opening the door for many more mothers to reap the benefits.
Why encapsulate with Welcome Baby KC?
Samantha is the only Placenta Specialist in the Kansas City metro who has completed the extensive training by the Association of Placenta Preparation Arts (APPA). APPA offers the most rigorous and extensive placenta arts training available. Samantha is also trained in, and follows, OSHA guidelines to ensure that her work is safe, reliable, clean, and sanitary. You can rest assured that your encapsulation process will be smooth and seamless, requiring little effort on your part.
How does the process work?
- After making the decision to encapsulate your placenta, fill out the registration form and pay the deposit to reserve your space on the calendar. (Balance is due by 39 weeks.)
- After your baby’s birth, you’ll get in touch with Samantha and let her know when your placenta is ready for pickup. Samantha will come to retrieve your placenta.
- Encapsulation takes less than 48 hours, and then Samantha will deliver your pills to you, along with a postpartum booklet with instructions and information.
- Over the next two weeks, we’ll keep in touch to ensure everything is going well.
Please see the FAQ section for more details!
- Decreased risk of “baby blues” and postpartum depression
- Faster postpartum recovery
- Enhanced milk supply
- Increased energy
- Regulation of postpartum hormones
- Increased iron levels, thus a decreased risk of anemia
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA due to the nature of this service. Welcome Baby KC makes no medical treatment claims. Services provided are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any condition. Families who choose to utilize these services take full responsibility for their own health and product usage.